Monday night Bo ordered a pizza for himself and the boys and Sophia invited me to go with her and her friend to have some girl-time. They took me to get a massage- I was nervous- esp since the first time I ever had a massage was in 2006 when we adopted Kylee and I had thumb-print bruises down my back for weeks. Sophia promised that she would be with me and tell them to ease up if needed. And we had a really nice time together and it was a really great massage by two very sweet women.
We left there in search of a restaurant that the ladies recommended and the first one we came to was closing so we walked a little further. I found it humorous that when Sophia asked someone if it was a safe area to walk-- they said fairly safe....so I was a little unsure.
But just ahead was a busy beauty salon with lots of people around and I commented to Sophia that that had always looked like fun but I was too afraid of not being able to communicate and that it must cost a lot. She assured me that it was very cheap and that she would be with me so we took a detour and had the best time! When they shampoo your hair it is right in the chair with lots of lather and it goes on for a good 10-15 minutes. They even wash your ears and clean them with q-tips- ever so gently. They also give you a neck, back and arm massage and then you go back to the chair to rinse and that goes on for a while with special conditioners. Then they sat us in front of two young men who Sophia told that we just wanted a trim. Then her guy laughed and I found out that Sophia told my guy that if he cut oo much I would hit him! It was funny! He was like an artist cutting each section and rechecking his work. I was so impressed with him and wished I could go there again! At the end I got a little nervous when he used a razor to blend my hair but it has given it more style so i was pleased with it all. Then the best part was the bill-- it was 100RMB for both of us-- that is like $15 US. It would have been 60 RMB except we added the special conditioners. AND they will not accept tips here-- not at the massage place and not for hair! We spent a long time there and had the best time and all that was so cheap!
So we walked out to get a taxi back to the hotel and saw that we were right by the Italian restaurant we had been looking for and it was still open so we took another detour. I enjoyed eggplant spaghetti and Sophia had shrimp fetticini I think. We talked about her life and the hopes and plans that she has. I am so impressed with her. She got compliments all night about her beauty and people asking if she was a movie star-- and each time she was geniunely humble and seemed surprised. It is as if she does not know how beautiful she is. But the thing most strikingly beautiful about her is her heart. She is warm and caring and enjoys helping others. I can see why she is such a great nurse. I understand how my son fell in love with her and I am so thankful for the chance to spend time with her and see what a treasure she truly is. It was a very special evening for me. I know this is not the normal adoption trip but the boys had a blast with daddy and mom got a much-needed break! Bo said Brandon did ask for me when it was time to go to bed, but he settled down OK and they both did great. Brayden is a big-time daddy's boy all the time and never lets him out of his sight for too long so he is in for a tough time when dad heads back to work. I am so thankful to have the summer to spend with the boys helping them to get adjusted. They both have made such huge progress. It is not perfect, but it is just what we all need. God truly built our family in such a unique and precious way and they all are our children-- all 8 of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait to see Bryan (our first born) in Hong Kong and then be reunited with our girls and hopefully see Whit soon and have Lindsay move back closer right after we get home....my hope is to have alll my children together again in the same place at the same time sometime soon...I guess we will see if that can happen.
There are detours in life-- those unexpected moments when you have a decision to make-- do you continue on the path you have planned or do you take a chance and do something unexpected? Some detours are not wise and some are of little consequence, but it seems like some of the best things in my life have been detours! So I am thankful for the detours!
No comments:
Post a Comment